Graniteville Elementary’s New Brand is a Go: The Community Selects “Gregg The Gator” & Graniteville’s Signature “G”
With 568 students, parents, employees and community members weighing in on their selection, Graniteville Elementary School (GVES) will have a logo/mascot and seal that are well suited for the goals of the school, as well as the families and community the new campus will serve.
Logo/seal options were shared with the community of future students and families for their input and vote. While the options were unique, and featured design elements and mascots (a gator and a goose) of their own, a consistent theme of community, literacy, and spirit of excellence were identifiable in both options.
“Planning and envisioning the future of Graniteville Elementary has been an exciting process,” the school’s Principal Michelle Padgett commented. “Part of the vision for Graniteville Elementary is for it to be a school that embraces families and our community. It was important for us to give our community the opportunity to vote on the branding of our new school.”
Overwhelmingly, with 465 votes or 82%, the community voted in favor of Logo/Seal Option 1, which feature the logo/mascot of a gator and a corresponding seal with a “G” reminiscent of the historic Graniteville Company mill.
William Gregg supervised the construction of the power canal in Graniteville as part of creating one the first textile company towns in the South. “Gregg the Gator” is reading a book with the Graniteville Company “G” on the cover. He is wearing a bow tie, representative of going the extra mile. The corresponding seal incorporates the “G” from the Graniteville Company’s brand. The reeds in the seal are a nod to the wildlife growing along the canal.
“I am so glad our school seal includes the signature ‘G’ that represents the foundation of what was once a mill village,” Padgett stated. “‘Gregg the Gator,’ our new mascot, will also give us the opportunity to ensure that our students remember the fact that William Gregg founded Graniteville and also highly valued education.”
“Gregg the Gator” is seen in a bow tie, representative of going the extra mile. William Gregg, for whom the mascot is affectionately named, supervised the construction of the power canal as part of creating one the first textile company towns in the South. The corresponding seal incorporates the “G” from the Graniteville Company’s brand. The reeds in the seal are a nod to the wildlife growing along the canal.
The color blue is used throughout the logo and seal and is representative of the “blue granite” in Graniteville. Additionally, the color blue symbolizes wisdom, confidence, and intelligence. Green is associated with growth, ambition and youth. Orange represents creativity, determination, and success.
“Gregg's bow tie, book and graduation cap exemplifies that Graniteville Elementary will be a school of academic excellence that will engage and inspire students from the cradle to college and career,” Padgett continued.
“Our students will have opportunities to explore and dream about their futures by having experiences with college and career options throughout their schooling. Not only will we inspire them to dream about the future, but we will also equip them to accomplish their wildest dreams by providing them with exemplary literacy-rich learning experiences. Excellence will be our standard at GVES.”
While the opening of the new school is still a month away, several upcoming events are being planned to welcome students and families to GVES.
- August 1 from 1-4 p.m.: Ice Cream and Free Book Caravan. School administration and staff members will visit students’ neighborhoods giving away free ice cream and books and offering the opportunity to register via mobile devices. This event is being sponsored by Christian Heritage Church and Follett.
- August 8 from noon-7:00 p.m.: Registration Verification. Students and families are invited to come to the school to complete their online registration, apply for free or reduced lunch and pay school lunch fees.
- August 10 at 10:00 a.m.: Ribbon Cutting and Tour.
- August 15 from 3-6 p.m.: Meet The Teacher. Students and families are invited to come meet their teachers for the upcoming school year.
- August 19 from 7:30 a.m.-2:20 p.m.: First Day of School.
- August 29 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.: Open House, PTO Meeting. Families are invited to visit the school, tour classes and participate in the school’s establishment of a Parent Teacher Organization (PTO).
For additional information and updates on Graniteville Elementary School, please visit online at www.acpsd.net/GVES
LINK TO DISTRICT PRESS RELEASE: 2019 PR GVES MASCOT LOGO SELECTED