Minnie B. Kennedy Middle School, orginally named Kennedy Junior High, is located on Pine Log Road in Aiken, South Carolina. The school is named for one of Aiken County's most dedicated educators, Minnie Brown Kennedy who began her teaching career at age fifteen and spanned for forty-eight years.
Kennedy Middle, along with Paul Knox Middle, was ready for occupancy for the 1958-1959 school year. The building was to be constructed mainly of steel but a steel strike caused more concrete to be used. The cost of the building was $750,000 and it was constructed for 475 students and 17 teachers. In the 1960's an additional wing was added. Originally, grades seven through nine were housed at Kennedy; grades seven and eight in 1970; and since 1979, grades six through eight.
In 1995 construction began to completely remodel the school because it had outgrown the current building. After about two years of construction, the new additions and updates were complete in 1997 with the addition of a new wing and complete interior renovation. The school is built around four enclosed courtyards which can serve as outdoor classrooms and provide each grade level with a separate wing. The exploratory classes, cafeteria, and gym are located in separate building.
The principals who have headed Kennedy Middle since its start in 1959 to the present are
- 1958-1968 - Carl Lowman
- 1968-1969 - Norman Woodward
- 1969-1977 - L.C. Jones
- 1977-1986 - Chris Brooks
- 1986-2006 - George Rogers
- 2006-2007 - Garen Cofer
- 2007-2010 - Ben Osborne
- 2010-2013 - Kyle Smith
- 2013-2017 - Teresa Mitchem
Kennedy Middle has a proud history of academic success and continues to educate and prepare students for high school and to become productive, contributing members of our community.