School Dress Code
APPROPRIATE AND NON-DISTRACTING ATTIRE SHALL BE WORN IN THE EDUCATIONAL SETTING. THIS INCLUDES OFF-CAMPUS ACTIVITIES SUCH AS FIELD TRIPS, PERFORMANCES, AND SCHOOL-SPONSORED EVENTS.
1. APPROPRIATE ATTIRE
· Skirts and shorts must be worn at least three (3) inches from the knee when standing (leggings or tights do not substitute for length).
· Shirts with sleeves for young men.
· Clothing must cover undergarments.
· Pants, shorts and skirts must be worn at the waist.
· Straps on young ladies’ tops must be the width of her “four fingers.”
· Proper undergarments and supports must be worn.
2. INAPPROPRIATE ATTIRE
· HATS AND SUNGLASSES SHOULD NOT BE WORN IN THE BUILDING (ANY VIOLATION WILL RESULT IN CONFISCATION OF THE ITEMS)
· Head coverings such as bandanas, scarves, and wraps (etc.)
· Tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, tops with string straps, and plunging necklines that expose cleavage
· Bare midriffs and backs
· See-through garments
· Sheer leggings/jeggings and tights worn as pants or underneath an inappropriate skirt
· Bedroom shoes, lounge wear, pajamas, and blankets
· Excessively long wallet/pocket chains (longer than 6 inches)
· “Sagging” pants are prohibited. Sagging is identified as pants that are not worn at the waist.
· Clothing that promotes tobacco, alcohol or other drugs
· Clothing that promotes guns, violence, gangs, sex, or disrespect to others
· Rips, tears, holes and worn places in clothing must be no higher than three (3) inches above the knee
· The display of obscene or profane language or gestures on clothing may result in an out-of-school suspension. Also, while the displayed message may not be obscene or profane, the message conveyed may still be deemed inappropriate and students will be asked not to wear the clothing.
3. HAIR STYLES AND COLORS
· All students are asked to refrain from hair styles/colors that are potentially distracting in a school setting (any action related to hair styles/colors is at the discretion of administration).
NOTE: The administration will make the final judgment on the appropriateness of clothing and/or appearance and reserves the right to prohibit students from wearing any articles of clothing or other items which lead to, or may foreseeably result in, the disruption of or interference with the school environment. In the event the administration determines a student’s dress is inappropriate for school in accordance with this policy, the administration will require the student to change and will inform the student not to wear the garment to school again. Repeated violations of the Dress Code will be addressed as outlined in the District’s Behavior Code.