Secondary School Dress Code
2019-2020 Updated Dress Code
1. APPROPRIATE ATTIRE
• Dresses, Skirts, skorts, and shorts must be worn no shorter than three (3) inches above the knee when standing (leggings, including sheer material, or tights do not substitute for length). ADDITIONALLY, SPLITS IN SKIRTS OR DRESSES SHOULD NOT EXTEND PAST 3” ABOVE THE KNEE.
• Leggings/tights/thermal tights may only be worn under dresses, shirts, or skirts of appropriate length.
• Shirts with sleeves for young men.
• Clothing must cover undergarments.
• Pants, shorts and skirts must be worn at the waist.
• Straps on young ladies’ tops must be the width of her “four fingers.”
• Appropriate undergarments must be worn.
2. INAPPROPRIATE ATTIRE
• HATS, HOODS ON SWEATSHIRTS OR JACKETS, ATHLETIC HEADBANDS, AND SUNGLASSES SHOULD NOT BE WORN IN THE BUILDING (ANY VIOLATION WILL RESULT IN CONFISCATION OF THE ITEMS)
• Head coverings such as headbands, bandanas, scarves, and wraps (etc.)
• Tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, tops with string straps, and plunging necklines that expose cleavage
• Bare midriffs and backs
• See-through garments or sheer garments
• Shoes with wheels or cleats should not be worn in buildings
• Bedroom shoes, lounge wear, pajamas, and blankets
• Excessively long wallet/pocket chains (longer than 6 inches)
• “Sagging” pants are prohibited. Sagging is identified as pants that are not worn at the waist.
• Clothing that promotes tobacco, alcohol or other drugs
• Clothing that promotes guns, violence, gangs, sex, or disrespect to others
• Rips, tears, holes and worn places in clothing must be no higher than three (3) inches above the knee (excludes pants that have a sewn-on patch outside or inside the pants leg.)
• The display of obscene or profane language or gestures on clothing may result in an out-of-school suspension. Also, while the displayed message may not be obscene or profane, the message conveyed may still be deemed inappropriate and students will be asked not to wear the