In 1952, as a result of the influx of people employed at the Savannah River Project (Atomic Energy Plant), a vary rapid growth in pupil population necessitated an extensive building program for educational facilities in North Augusta, SC. Hammond Hill Elementary School was built on a fifteen acre site donated by Hammond Burkhalter, Ira Beaufort, and Ed King, developers of the area. The school was occuped in September 1953, with Mr. Arthur Taylor as the first principal. Over the years, additions have been made to the school with the largest addition of two new wings made in 1993.
Hammond Hill Elementary became a Palmetto’s Finest School in 2013 and a National Blue Ribbon School in 2012. For the 2011-2012 school year, HHE made the SIC Dick and Tunky Riley Honor Roll. For seven years in a row, we received a state rating of Excellent for academic achievement. Our other awards include a Red Carpet School Award for outstanding customer service, and Palmetto Gold Awards for academic achievement and for closing the achievement gap. We are also home to three district Teachers of the Year.