2018-2019 HHE TRAFFIC PROCEDURES
Our Dismissal Time is 2:30 pm
We would like for all parents to read the following information to become better informed. Although your child may ride a bus, please review these procedures so that you will know what to do should the need arise for your child to become a car rider. These procedures will help insure the safety of your child and will also help parents maneuver in and out of traffic in a more expedient manner. Please use PATIENCE, especially during the first few weeks of school. Keep in mind that over 800 students are entering and exiting our building each day. Some wait-time is inevitable. Please remember, buses always have the right-of-way. Parents are not allowed to park and exit their cars in either traffic circle during arrival and departure times. (7:00 – 7:40 am and 2:00 – 2:45 pm) Please talk to your son/daughter about the importance of traffic safety. It is very important that students, who are dropped off, exit the car on the passenger side. Help your child learn how to put on and take off their own safety belt so that you will not hold up traffic doing it for them. Thank you.
Please keep the following points in mind during arrival time each morning:
- Parents of Kindergarten and 1st Grade students may chaperone their child to their class during the first week of school only.
- Parents may park in the parking lot closest to the PE room (on the Woodlawn Avenue side of the building) or you may park on Amherst Drive beside the playground fence area.
- Parents should not park in the Parking Lot designated for Faculty Parking (accessible from Woodlawn Avenue).
- The tardy bell rings at 7:30 am. Students must be present and in their classroom at this time, not in transit. Keep in mind instruction begins at 7:30 am.
- Have children ready to get out of their car upon arrival to school. (Book bags, lunchboxes, etc., should be gathered up before you reach the safety patrol.)
- Students may be dropped off in the mornings on either side of the building.
- Students who eat breakfast at school will proceed directly to the lunchroom first. Breakfast is served from 7:00-7:20 daily.
- Kindergarten and 1st grade students will proceed to the lunchroom where they will be supervised by teachers on duty. Students will be escorted to their classrooms at 7:15 am.
- Students in grades 2, and some in grades 4 and 5 will proceed to the gym where they will be supervised. These students will be escorted to their classrooms at 7:15 am.
- Students in grade 3 will wait outside their classrooms where there will be a teacher on duty to supervise.
- Students arriving after 7:15 am should report directly to their classroom.
Arrival Times: 7:00 Breakfast (Optional)
7:15 Students are escorted to their classrooms
7:25 Warning Bell Rings
7:30 Instruction Begins & Tardy Bell Rings
- Kindergarten and 1st Grade students only will be dismissed at the Bunting Drive circle.
- Students in grades 2 and 3 will be picked up near the gym door located at the Woodlawn Avenue circle.
- Students in grades 4 and 5 will be picked up at the main entrance, where the office is located, at the Woodlawn Avenue circle.
- Parents should remain in their cars and wait in the traffic line. Please do not park your car and walk to the exit doors to wait for your child to exit the building. Teachers will escort students to their designated areas and assist students getting into their cars.
- Please roll down your window so that we may see the driver who is picking up the student.
- Please place a large sign in your front car window indicating your child’s name and grade level.
- A teacher on duty will call your child to the pick-up line via a walkie-talkie.
- Bus and Daycare students will be picked up at the rear of the building. Only Bus and Daycare vans will be allowed to access the road behind the school for pick-up purposes.
- If you have questions, or need to talk to a teacher at dismissal, please park your car in the parking lot and walk to the office. Please wait in the office until the teacher is off duty. Office personnel will let the teacher know that you would like to speak with him/her. Please do not ask the teacher on car duty to answer questions during dismissal as this would slow down the flow of traffic.
- If you are entering the Woodlawn Avenue entrance to the school, please do not make a left hand turn into the school. We suggest that parents enter the Hammond Hill Subdivision from Hammond Drive (off of Martintown Road) and then take a right onto Woodlawn Avenue to pick students up on the Woodlawn Avenue side of the building.
- Please do not park on side streets to avoid the car line. Only students who live in the Hammond Hill subdivision should be walkers. Other students should be picked up in the car line. It is dangerous for students to try and cross busy streets within the neighborhood to get to their car.
- Kindergarten and 1st Grade parents should line up their cars along-side the playground fence on Amherst Drive with their cars headed in the same direction towards the school for pick-up.
- Carpools with students in various grade-levels will follow this rule: Older students will go to the younger student’s designated pick-up area.
- All students are dismissed at 2:30 pm.
We respectfully ask parents to avoid signing their child out between 2:00 pm and 2:30 pm.
If you have any questions regarding our arrival and dismissal procedures, please call the school office at (803) 442-6170.