Frequently Asked Questions

  • For your convenience, we have compiled a list of questions often asked with their answers below. If you do not see your question on this page, feel free to call us at 803-663-4920. The questions are organized into categories: General, GED, Diploma, and WorkKeys.


    How do I request a copy of my transcript?

    You can call 803-663-4920 to request a copy of your transcript. Please allow 1-2 business days for processing. We can fax, mail, scan/email transcripts, or leave it at the front desk for you to pick up.

    How do I obtain a replacement copy of my GED or Diploma?

    Adult Education does not keep copies of GED certificates or diplomas. You have to call the State Department of Education at 803-734-8347 and request a replacement copy. They will mail it to you. Generally, it takes a few weeks for processing.

    How much does the program cost?

    FREE! We have no registration fees. Upon completion of our classes and all other program requirements, we pay for the GED.

    Do you offer online classes?

    Yes. We offer distance learning opportunities for GED and Diploma programs.

    Do you provide transportation?

    Unfortunately, we are unable to provide transportation for our students. Only students with IEPs are eligible for transportation, but arrangements for this are made through Adult Education's Special Programs representative.



    I completed my GED. When will I receive my certificate?

    The State Department of Education will mail your GED certificate to the mailing address listed in your account. Please verify that it is your most up-to-date mailing address. Please allow up to 6 weeks for receipt of your certificate.

    How old do I have to be to take the GED?

    You must be at least 17 years old to take the GED. This is a Pearson Vue and SC State Department of Education policy. If you are between 17 and 19 years of age, a Verification of Withdrawal Form MUST be submitted to the State Department BEFORE you can take the GED. For your convenience, this form can be found on our Student Forms page.

    I need a transcript of my GED. How do I get that?

    Aiken County Adult Education does not generate GED transcripts. Only the State Department can provide these. You can contact them at 803-734-8347 to request a copy of your GED transcript.

    If I don't want to take the classes, how do I register for the GED?

    You can register for the GED at You will need to create an account, so you can schedule your test at an authorized testing facility. The cost of the test is $150.

    How long will it take me to get my GED?

    The Adult Education program requires a minimum of 40 hours of in class instruction, but determination of when you are ready to take the GED is based upon your academic level, TABE scores, and GED Ready scores.

    How long is the GED Test?

    The test is a total of 445 minutes broken down into 4 sections:
    Reading & Language Arts: 155 minutes
    Math: 120 minutes
    Social Studies: 75 minutes
    Science: 95 minutes


    How many credits do I need to have in order to be eligible for the Diploma Completion Program?

    You must already have obtained 17 high school credits. You can find out how many credits you have by requesting a copy of your transcript from your last high school.

    I completed all the credits to earn my high school diploma. When will I receive my diploma?

    The State Department of Education orders diplomas on a quarterly basis. Diplomas are mailed to the Byrd Learning Center. Once received, the secretary will call you to let you know it is available for you to pick up. Please make sure upon completion of your credits, that the Adult Education office has your correct telephone number.