Read180 and System44 is a reading intervention program for students who are below grade level in reading (as indicated as strategic and intensive on the reading inventory). This program uses Lexile Framework, a system that evaluates both reading ability and text difficulty. Students enrolled in Read180 or System44 come for one hour of reading intervention each day. The program’s 60-minute class consists of three different 20 minute rotations: teacher-led small group, instructional software, and independent reading with R180/S44 library books. There are about 60 students who are currently enrolled in System44 and Read180 at Belvedere Elementary. Our students last year read almost two million words for a yearly average Lexile gain of more than 193 points! Students can show tremendous growth on their Reading Inventory, benchmarks, and grades through this program.
A student must be on their best behavior in order to maximize their success in this program. Parents will be notified of misbehavior through email, phone call, and/or note home. If a student constantly misbehaves, they may be removed from Read180 or System44.
System44 ~ Read180 Classroom Expectations: (3 Rotations~60minutes daily)
Instructional Software (20 min):
- Log into computer quickly.
- Work on the computer independently and quietly without distracting others.
- Uses materials (keyboard, microphone, monitor, headphones, mouse) carefully.
- Work on the software for at least 15 min. a day.
Independent Reading (20 min):
- Work quietly and independently.
- Start immediately on work and stays focused the whole time.
- Take care of books, pencils, cd players/ipad/ipods, and other materials in center.
- Complete reading log using complete sentences and writes neatly.
- Pass one “Reading Counts” quiz a week.
Small Group Instruction with Ms. Meade (20 min):
- On time.
- Listen actively and follows directions quickly.
- Pay attention during instruction.
- Respectful to peers and teacher.
- Share materials when appropriate.
- Participate in small group lessons.
- Complete workbook with accuracy and care.
- Able to complete assignments in a timely matter.