Welcome to the School Counseling Department!
The A.L. Corbett Middle School Counseling Department is made up of one counselor, and a career specialist. Together, they work with students, parents, and faculty/staff to provide a safe, nurturing environment where all students can learn. Please use the "School Counselor Referral Form" if you know a student who may need to talk to a school counselor.
Counseling Program Mission
The mission of the school counseling program is to help students develop their educational, social, career, and personal goals. There is the commitment to help each student develop to his or her highest potential at school with preparation for his/her next grade level and to become productive citizens of the community.
Description of Counseling Services
The school counselor and career specialist work with all students, parents, staff, administration, and members of the community to support the school’s mission; makes services available to all students; and provides knowledge and skills that are developmentally appropriate for all students.
ASCA Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success
- Social/Emotional Development
- Academics Development
- Career Development
- Small Success Group Counseling –problem-solving, anger management, study skills, bullying, self-esteem building, test-taking, character development, social skills, goal-setting, peer mediation, violence prevention, and conflict resolution
- Collaborate with teachers, parents, students, and administrators.
- Student Referrals
- Academic Advisement and IKE 6,7,8
- School-Wide Advisory/Mentor Program 6,7,8
- IGP Grade 8
- ILP Grades 6, 7
- PSAT, Junior Scholars, Duke TIP
- Virtual School
- Fifth and Eighth Grade Orientation
- Eighth Grade Parent Night
- Fifth Grade Parent Night at ALC
- Bully Awareness
- SOS Suicide Prevention Middle School Program
- New Student Orientation
- Volunteer Training Program
- Character Education Program
- Red Ribbon Week
- Pantry Packs for Middle School
- College Field Studies
- Community Health and Wellness Fair